Your cat may have skin problems that arise from a multitude of causes. You may notice that your pet is experiencing hair loss, pruritus (which manifests as scratching, licking, chewing, biting, or rubbing), discoloration of the skin, unusual odor, crusting, or growths in/under the skin. The skin condition is likely the result of complex reactions to environmental or internal stimuli.
Warwick Animal Hospital in Newport News, VA, specializes in diagnosing and treating feline diseases of the skin and coat, including the nose, ears, nails, and footpads. We will work closely with you to develop the best treatment plan for your cat's health needs.
A few common signs that your cat needs to be examined by a veterinarian are:
- Red patches, spots, or pimples.
- Itching, scratching, licking, or rubbing.
- Dry, flaky skin.
- Hair loss.
- Scabs on face or body.
- Abnormal skin color.
- Bad or unusual skin odor.
If you notice any of these signs with your cat, call us tel:757-595-3337 to schedule an appointment. Warwick Animal Hospital in Newport News, VA, can perform a wide range of tests to determine what is causing these symptoms in your cat. Once we have identified the problem, we may send home medication as part of the treatment. Whatever the cause, we will work with you to help your cat get back to living a healthy, comfortable life.
Commonly treated cat dermatology conditions are:
- Allergic skin disease
- Alopecia (hair loss)
- Autoimmune skin disease
- Bacterial, fungal, and viral infections
- Chronic itching
- Ear infections
- Endocrine (hormone) conditions, including hyperthyroidism, hyperadrenocorticism (Cushing's Disease), and adrenal sex hormone alopecia
- Footpad abnormalities
- Hereditary problems
- Hormonal issues
- Keratinization defects
- Nail and nailbed diseases
- Parasitic conditions including fleas, Demodex, Sarcoptes (scabies) and Cheyletiella
- Skin cancer
- Skin infections