Are you concerned about problems with your dog's dental health? Does your dog have an oral injury or other problem such as:
- a broken tooth
- damage to the jaw
- an unusual growth
- severe bad breath
If so, Warwick Animal Hospital in Newport News, VA, is prepared to evaluate your dog's dentistry problem and provide the right solution. We specialize in dental and oral surgical treatments for dogs, including the following:
- Ultrasonic scaling and polishing
- Complete dental examination, probing, and charting
- Dental x-rays
- Dental extractions
- Dental sealant application
- Referral to a board-certified veterinary dentist for more complicated problems
Warwick Animal Hospital in Newport News, VA, provides optimal healthcare for your dog, offering the best options for treating your dog's dental problems. Call us at 757-595-3337 today for solutions to your dog's dental concerns.
According to the American Veterinary Dental Society (AVDS), 80 percent of dogs show signs of oral disease by age three. That's four out of every five dogs! Brushing your dog's teeth daily or several times a week can help prevent gum disease and other dental problems from emerging. Brushing your dog's teeth will help:
- Control plaque and tartar
- Prevent gum disease
- Control bacteria and improve gum health
- Freshen your dog's breath
If your dog does not tolerate teeth brushing at first, follow these steps to help your dog become acclimated to having its teeth cleaned:
- Introduce your dog to doggie toothpaste. NEVER use human toothpaste, as this can be toxic to your dog if they ingest too much and can also cause a dramatic case of diarrhea. Squeeze out a small amount of doggie toothpaste on your finger and let your dog have a taste.
- Once they are familiar with the taste of the toothpaste, use your finger as a brush and brush their teeth with just your finger and the toothpaste.
- After they have allowed you to brush with your finger, you can attempt toothbrushing while using a small amount of water.
- Eventually, your dog will become accustomed to a brushing routine, and you can brush their teeth regularly.
If your dog has severe dental disease and a lot of tartar on their teeth, you will need to have them professionally cleaned. We will use dental instruments your dentist uses to clean and polish your teeth.
Questions about your dog's dental health? Need to set up an appointment to have your dog's teeth checked? Call Warwick Animal Hospital in Newport News, VA today at 757-595-3337 to schedule a time for us to check your dog for any dental problems or diseases.